Sunday, February 28, 2010

Chile update

Some of you know that my little sis is serving a mission in Santiago, Chile. While Santiago isn't where the earthquake yesterday originated, it still felt the quake. Demri is safe and well, and so are all the missionaries in Chile. Demri called my parents to say she was safe, and sent us all and e-mail:
"Family...boy have I been having an experience! We are all okay. We spent the day helping families move out of awful apartments that are broken and that will easily fall in another quake. There are so many misplaced families here. Pray for them. We have damage in our apartment, but not horrible. We have cracks around the ceiling, and some parts of our walls broke a little bit. We live on the second floor of a 20 story building. I have to say while it was happening at 3:40 in the morning, I felt completely calm. I knew I was protected and that the Spirit was telling me not to worry. Crazy it happened. I have pictures that I will be sending on Monday. Don't worry about me, I am in the Lord's hands. We were able to help people today. Monday we will have more news. Oh we are having a baptism tomorrow! I hope that goes through after what happened. Pray! I love you all so much!"
I'm so grateful that the Lord protects His missionaries, and that Demri is safe. I can't help but think about how often trials and tragedy turn people to God. It will be interesting to see if more people will be open to listening to Demri's message because of the quake. I'll be posting an update tomorrow on Demri on her blog, lahermanitanueva.blogspot.com.

3 comments:

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

I'm so glad to hear she's safe and sound. I love that photo of you two.

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

So glad she's safe!!!

Nicole said...

wow! I'm glad she's ok!