Thursday, October 21, 2010

Popovers


When Eric and I were living out East one of our favorite places to visit was Acadia National Park up in Maine. In the middle of the Park they have a quaint little restaurant called the Jordan Pond House, where they are famous for their popovers and hot chocolate. This is the view from the top of the restaurant.
Here's another view. The first time we went there were children flying kites with their parents; I felt like I was in the English countryside. Anyway, for Christmas last year Ami (Eric's mom) gave me a popover pan that she had bought at the Pond House's gift shop, along with the restaurant's cookbook that included their famous popover recipe. I was so excited and I couldn't wait to try making popovers of my own!
For those of you who have never had a popover, they're like an eggy biscuit, almost like a dutch baby in a muffin form. They're pretty much hollow on the inside, and oh so yummy with jam. This is the popover pan. After Christmas I tried several times to make them (using the cookbook's recipe), but was unsuccessful. I couldn't get them to pop over the tins like they're supposed to. I looked up several recipes online, and everyone had their own versions of the recipe, but I couldn't find anything that worked.
Then by a stroke of luck I saw a Good Eats episode on the Food Network that explained how to make popovers step by step, and why each step was critical. It was the easiest recipe I'd seen, and I decided to give it a try. Last night I made two batches of popovers and they were perfect! I'm so excited to find a recipe that worked and that was so easy. Now I've just got to master the Jordan Pond House's hot chocolate recipe for a perfect winter this year :)

Popovers
2 large eggs, room temperature
1 C whole milk, room temperature
1 C flour
1 T unsalted butter, melted
1 1/2 t salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and butter or oil popover pan. Make sure the oven is heated and the pan is buttered before mixing popover ingredients. Put all ingredients in a blender and blend for 30 seconds. Immediately pour into prepared pan, filling each cup only halfway. Cook for 40 minutes. Do NOT open the oven door until 40 minutes is up. Then remove popovers and slice each one at the top with a knife so they don't deflate. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright - I'm headed to Boise RIGHT NOW so you can make me some of those! Yum!

Sasha Cornelius Eggli said...

I'm glad you found a recipe that worked. I'm excited to try them. They look, oh, so yummy!

Nicole said...

I love popovers! I found an easy recipe similar to yours in one of my cookbooks and went through a phase of making them a lot :) I never really knew what to eat them with, though... maybe I'll try them with jam and hot chocolate this winter.