Thursday, April 21, 2011

I usually buy a new pair of running shoes every year, when Eric reminds me. I always get so comfortable in my running shoes that I don't realize when they're falling apart. This year Eric decided to buy some Vibram Five Finger barefoot running shoes (the ones that look like gloves). He enjoys a good run but his knees are bad, and we heard these shoes prevented knee problems. He's been running several times in his new shoes and hasn't had an ounce of pain in his knees.
I thought it would be fun to try some too, but opted for these Merrells that look like normal shoes. The sole is so thin I can feel rocks underneath my feet (which I like. It makes me feel more connected to the ground I'm running on) but is thick enough that the rocks don't hurt. One of the reasons I bought them was to train myself to land on the front of my feet instead of the heel, and because the heel on these is so thin it feels pretty natural. Eric and I have also been learning about the benefits of running barefoot, so I thought I should give it a try. The first time I tried my shoes I was incredibly sore in my calves the next day, but as I've continued to run in them the soreness has decreased significantly. I'm guessing after another week I'll be past the breaking-in point. I've always felt a little guilty for running so much because it's so bad for the joints; running in these helps me to feel better.
I just love the fact that our feet were made by God to run without any help from shoes. It's pretty cool.

1 comment:

Kimberly Miller said...

I'm so glad you posted this! Zach LOVES running but his knees always bother him. He is about due for some new work out shoes and we will have to try these out!