Sunday, October 26, 2008

I'm a geek

Mitt Romney attends church in the same building that we do. The entire time that we've lived out in Arlington I've wondered if we'd ever catch even a small glimpse of him. You know, maybe eating a piece of cake at some ward function, or signing autographs for small children after church, (that's a joke) or just leaving the chapel (we have church at different times). Well, every now and then I would realize that I hadn't spotted him, and that I probably never would (tear). He was most likely traveling across the country on some important business, political or otherwise. Now I am being a little facetious here. I mean, we all know that famous people are still people, whether you see them on t.v. or in real life. However, today as we left church Mr. Romney and his wife were walking across the parking lot to their car. He glanced in our direction as Eric drove through the lot, and Mr. Romney and I made eye contact. Just like that. It was all so sudden! What could I do? I did what any normal, nice person would have done: I waved, and he nodded back. Well now, I do have to admit that I was star-struck, and wondered if Mitt (that's right, we've progressed to first-name status here) thought I was waving to Mitt the celebrity or Mitt the fellow church goer. Either way, I now know that if we leave Arlington, I can finally be at peace in this regard.

7 comments:

Marlies said...

Congratulations. Next time could you ask him a few questions about who I should be voting for on the local level (since he worked here during the olympics and all). Thanks. lol

Nicole said...

I'm glad your time in Boston hasn't been a waste :)

Anonymous said...

Brother Romney! Very cool he gave you "the nod". Do you think he has a home teaching route like everyone else? Just curious.

Sarah Lenhart said...

Darn it, I wish we went to the same church as the Romney family.

Bethany Fegles Photography said...

Wow! Can I now tell people that I know him through my cousin? ;)
I like him too.

Heather said...

Ha ha! We saw him once at Stake Conference and we still talk about it. He said "Hello" to Luke Peterson!

Thanks for letting us come see you and your cute baby!

Emily said...

That's funny. I saw him at stake conference; he and I were both coming in late. He held the door for me and he went and took a peek in the chapel, which was totally full (it was the Sat. night session). He turned away and some guy caught sight of him and ran out of the chapel saying there was space for him. But he opted to go downstairs and sit in the gym on the metal chairs with the rest of us latecomers.